India’s Statue of Unity surpasses the American Statue of Liberty
The statue of unity is a tribute to the great Indian leader: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, scheduled to be unveiled on 31st October 2018. This statue is a patriotic symbol of the legacy of a man who spend his life in the struggle for freedom. Hence as a mark respect, statue is located at the birthplace of the great leader: Gujarat.
At a height of 182 metres, the great leader’s glorious legacy shines even above the rest of the monuments in the world. Hence, The exact location of the Statue of Unity is at Sadhu Bet Island. It has a occupancy of 20 thousand metres.
For the landscaping, a 12 km square lake will create the atmosphere of equality and diversity. A special trust called as “Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Rashtriya Ekta Trust” has been created for the management of this historical place.
The statue of unity is designed by Ram V. Sutar and uses steel frame and reinforced concrete as its base design. To lend durability, the statue has been given bronze plating.
The total amount for the project is US $430 million and is taken care by Larsen and Toubro.
Statue of unity highlights:
- It is expected to be the highest statue in the world. The statue has long surpassed the likes of Statue of Liberty.
- The statue of unity will feature a 153 m high viewing deck. This will be able to accommodate two hundred visitors in one time!
- The Statue of unity offers a panoramic view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam and its ecological footprint.
- Further, the statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel can withstand winds of velocity of 60 metres/ second. Interestingly, it has been also claimed that the monument is earthquake resistant!
- A total of 22,500 M Tons of cement forms the core structure of this monument.
- Likewise, the iron used in the construction was collected from the discarded farm instruments throughout the nation! The great nationalist is aptly called as the “Iron Man of India” is tributed by this unique cause.
- Most noteworthy fact is that the statue is not just mere feat of Indians but transcends the borders as well. A team of 700 Chinese workers are the actual designers of the smelt and cast works of the world’s biggest statue. Thus, unity arises from convergence of the diversity!
- Similarly, the 90 year old craftsman: Ram V. Sutar designed the 30 feet tall bronze portion of the statue. Overall, the statue is a work of pure art.
Events to mark the historic construction:
Apart from the SVERPET movement of collection of the iron for the monument, various other events were held:
- An event called as Suraaj or Good Governance (the vision of Sh. Narendra Modi) petition was organised. A record of 20 million Indians gave their views on the ideas for good governance.
- Alternatively, A Run for Unity marathon was held throughout the nation to mark the historic preservation of India’s glorious legacy.
A marvel is made:
The Statue of unity is not just mere feat of the nation but a sophisticated style as well.
- The memorial has light detection and ranging technology along with telescopic logging for detecting the rocks.
- The three dimensional scanning and computerized numerical production control have yielded in precise outcomes.
- Bronze cladding is erected without any external stage! The overall complex houses not just the statue but also a memorial, garden complex, artificial lake, amusement park, hotel and research centre as well!
- Similarly, the natural looks of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel are naturalised. He is observed as wearing the unique style of dhoti and kurta. Further, one gets an illusion of the fact that he is going to walk around the memorial.
- Fast elevators and viewing decks for that breathtaking view! At 500 metres, one can observe the mountains, the reservoir and greens.
- A 5 km long boat ride facility to get close to the statue.
- 400 ton Mass Damper system is placed to protect the visitors from the strong winds.
- A wholesome tourism experience for both entertainment and nationalism.
- The food and kiosks are all the part of the attempt to grab the attention of the tourists to the state.
- A helipad is in place almost two kilometres out to the sea.
Opposition to the Grand scheme:
The statue of unity has its own share of opposition to fight from. The three year construction was not without the addition of controversial issues.
- Environment enthusiasts rues the threat to fishing and natural habitat by construction of the monument.
- Another setback came from the locals as they associated the region with their local deity.
Share your thoughts on the great work of the government of India. Do you believe it will enjoy the same popularity as the statue of Liberty? Comment below.
Fart magazine salutes the great freedom fighter!